History and Chronology of The Good Samaritan Society
The Good Samaritan Society was established in 1949 and opened its first auxiliary hospital in 1955.
The Society was created through the donation of Mr. Gottlieb Wedman, a Leduc farmer, who made a donation to the Lutheran Church to be used to help provide care for the elderly. Since those early days, The Society has grown considerably, and today we serve over 6,000 individuals, annually with programs and facilities in Alberta and British Columbia.
Gottlieb Wedman makes a donation for the care of aging persons.
Auxiliary Hospital opens with 70 beds.
Mount Pleasant Care Centre opens with 182 beds.
Auxiliary Hospital adds 30 beds.
Stony Plain Care Centre opens with 75 beds.
Stony Plain Care Centre adds 15 beds.
Southgate Care Centre opens with 225 beds.
Pineview Residence opens for 42 persons with developmental disabilities.
Central Services facility opens to provide laundry, maintenance, and other support services.
First community living homes are opened for disabled persons.
Good Samaritan Seniors apartment opens in the Bonnie Doon neighbourhood.
TeleCare® (formally Lifeline) emergency response service was introduced.
Auxiliary Hospital is entirely rebuilt for modernization.
Home Support services are offered to residents who live in their own homes.
Wedman House, first assisted living facility, opens with 30 beds.
Mill Woods Centre, second assisted living facility opens with 60 beds.
- George Hennig Place in Stony Plain, an assisted living facility, opens with 30 suites.
- Spruce Grove Centre, an assisted living facility, opens with 30 beds.
South Ridge Village opens. The village includes three dementia care cottages for 30 residents, and in the main building, 50 continuing care beds, 42 supportive housing rental suites and an adult day program.
- Good Samaritan Canada (GSC) is formed in response to the need for a non-profit that added thousands of new assisted living and complex care beds in British Columbia.
- Mountain View Centre in Hinton, Alberta, opens. This complex includes 25 continuing care units, which include a five-bed dementia care cottage, 27 supportive housing suites and a day program.
- Vista Village in Pincher Creek, Alberta, opens. This complex contains 55 assisted living suites and 15 supportive housing units consisting of five short-term stay suites and two five-bedroom dementia care cottages.
- Mountainview Village in Kelowna, British Columbia, opens. This complex includes 37 assisted living suites and 68 independent living apartments.
- Pembina Village in Evansburg, Alberta, opens. This complex includes 30 continuing care beds, a 10-bed dementia care cottage and 30 supportive living suites.
- Park Meadows Village in Lethbridge, Alberta, opens. This complex includes four 10-bed dementia care cottages and 45 assisted living suites.
- Village by the Station in Penticton, British Columbia opens four 10-bed dementia care cottages.
- Village by the Station in Penticton, British Columbia opens 60 resident care beds, 35 assisted living suites and a day program.
- The Manor At Royal Oak Village in Lacombe, Alberta opens 23 supportive living suites and 50 independent living apartments.
- Clearwater Centre in Rocky Mountain House, Alberta opens 30 continuing care beds, a 10-bed dementia care cottage, 30 supportive living suites, 12 independent living apartments and a day program.
- The Seniors’ Clinic in Edmonton, Alberta opens with the ability to provide community support to 1,000 clients.
- Hillside Village in Salmon Arm opens 75 Licensed Residential Care Beds housed in five 12-bed cottages and one 15-bed cottage.
- Mount Pleasant Care Centre in Edmonton closes its continuing care program.
- West Highland Centre opens in Lethbridge with 90 Designated Assisted Living Suites, one 10-bed Dementia Care Cottage and 49 Independent Living Apartments.
- Christenson Village in Gibsons, BC opens 50 Complex Care Beds, 60 Assisted Living Suites and 30 Cottage Care Beds.
- Mountainview Village in Kelowna, BC opens Phase II of the building consisting of and additional 52 Assisted Living Suites and 15 Independent Living Apartments (Life Lease).
- Pioneer Lodge in Salmon Arm, BC opens 30 Assisted Living Suites.
- Magrath Community Health Centre in Magrath, AB opens 25 Assisted Living Suites and 10 Cottage Care beds.
- Stony Plain Re-development – A 30-bed Dementia Care Cottage opens in Stony Plain, AB.
- Heron Grove in Vernon, BC opens Phase I, which includes 40 Assisted Living Suites and 15 Independent Living Apartments (Life Lease).
- Mountainview Village in Kelowna, BC opens 90 Complex Care Suites in Phase III of this facility.
- Victoria Heights in New Westminster, BC opens 59 Assisted Living Suites.
- Wexford Creek in Nanaimo, BC opens 40 Assisted Living Suites, 80 Complex Care beds and three 10-bed Dementia Care Cottages.
Prairie Ridge in Raymond, AB opens 55 Assisted Living Suites and 30 Geriatric Mental Health Care Beds.
Vista Village in Pincher Creek, AB opens an additional 20 Assisted Living Suites and 20 Independent Living Suites.
- Lee Crest in Cardston, Alberta opens 60 Assisted Living Suites, two 12-Bed Dementia Care Cottages, 6 Couple Suites (1 bedroom) and 5 Community Support Beds.
- Linden View in Taber opens 64 Supportive Living suites, three 12-Bed Dementia Care Cottages and 5 Community Support beds.
- Phase 2 of the new Stony Plain Care Centre opens 120 Long Term Care beds.